Friday, 13 March 2015

Denim Dress Ta Da!

I went along to my sewing class this week with two goals in mind: Set in the sleeves of my jersey denim dress and figure out button holes. Both of these scared me a bit, but if ever there was a time to master them, it was under the watchful eye of Brenda, my teacher.
 
She inspected and approved my pinning. I used most of the pot of pins on the two sleeves, I was determined that those beauties were not going anywhere! 
 

Mini Ta Da number 1: A pair of perfectly set in sleeves! I am pretty pleased to say the least.


Next on to button holes. My machine is pretty simple and has a 4-stage button hole setting. It took Brenda and I a while to figure it out on some scrap fabric, but after a bit of practice... Mini Ta Da number 2: My first truly successful button hole.


And just to prove that it wasn't a fluke...


I left the class having done three and feeling pretty confident. Yesterday instead of doing the things I was supposed to be doing, I couldn't resist and finished off the other three and added the buttons.

 
And here we have it: Ta Da!
 





Once again Dorothy was doing a marvellous job of modelling for me while I took pictures but I did have a go at taking a selfie or two in the mirror. Warning: I am extremely bad at this.



Lets go back to Dorothy who doesn't need to remember to hold the camera out of the way, try and press the buttons without wobbling, focus, stand well and not scowl all at the same time.


So onwards and upwards... I was pondering on what my next project should be when a friend sent me some patterns her mum had collected including this one. I am going to make a long tunic/short dress (have you spotted a theme here?) in this lovely fabric. It is a pretty simple pattern but includes making and using your own bias binding, something I have never mastered. I am hoping that the talented Brenda will be able to sort that one out for me too.


No sewing for me today though, it's off to strip I go... Strip wallpaper that is. Off the ceiling. Yuck!

xx

9 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic!
    I have to say, it was sleeves and buttonholes that put me off dressmaking many years ago. They are probably the most difficult things to get right. And buttonholes coming right at the end too... if the rest of the piece was perfect and then I mucked it up..
    You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I was a bit worried about the button holes. I did the ones on the tabs on the sleeves first so that they weren't so critical and could be replaced if necessary.

      Delete
  2. Love it! I would do 3 more of the same pattern, in striped cotton canvas, mustard needle cord and one in fleece for lounging around in....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop stop stop! My to do list is already so long it needs it's own room. I love all those ideas...

      Delete
  3. Fabulous, there'll be no stopping you now. We're decorating our bedroom over Easter, I'm dreading it, I hate decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is, the living room is more than just a couple of days work. It is quite big and has acres of wood work, not to mention all the cracks that need filling, the electrics that need moving, the floor that needs sanding...

      Delete
  4. That looks great. Now i want to try to make my first buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Do it now! Just take your time...

      Delete
  5. My goodness that looks fantastic - I'm so impressed! Well done - it looks so good on you.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete