Thursday 22 August 2013

A fine adventure for the weekend

Thank you for all your kind words about my new look, and about my trials and tribulations with the Smalls, all very much appreciated. It is only a couple of weeks until we head back to Englandshire for our hols, so I thought it was high time I showed you some more of our amazing temporary home.
 
At the weekend I 'persuaded' the troops that a walk was in order. I had heard that Peak Dale was a nice easy path and it sounded just the thing.
 

It started well - a nice wide grassy path.


Fabulous views down towards Sandy Bay.



and over the desert to Lot's Wife.


Fabulous wild flowers, both garden escapees



and endemic species.





Then the path became very steep and all but disappeared. We spent nearly an hour pushing our way through the scrub towards another path we could see below us and we knew we were supposed to be on. Mutiny looked inevitable and I was beginning to wonder how we were going to get everyone home when we popped out of the scrub and back to civilisation.


Or at least, a wide track with more interesting things to see. As my father in law would say: some kind of prunus.

 
A cottage accessed only along this track.

 
Lots of sticks for boys.


And the coolest hollow trees. They are known as both flame trees (for their bright orange flowers) and thorn trees (the smaller branches are covered in the wickedest thorns you can imagine).

 





And more brilliant arum lilies!




The path came out above Fairyland.


We later discovered that there is another sign post further along the road which I am guessing is to the easier path...

A fine adventure nevertheless.

xx




6 comments:

  1. Looks great.What an amazing experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great hike... and I love those hollow trees!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a beautiful place to walk.I bet the kids had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such wonderful flowers, growing wild!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree looks like its swallowed your children! Bet you can't wait for your holidays! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -some wonderful walks!

    ReplyDelete