Thursday 20 June 2013

Why a pile of old t-shirts is very exciting.


So, a few weeks ago I read this post by Jules over at Little Woollie and followed her link to this tutorial, and I was smitten. I needed to make tarn (t-shirt yarn) at the earliest opportunity!
 
I took myself down to our one and only charity shop, at the lovely Sally Army, and picked out all the t-shirts and vest tops I could find that were in silly little sizes that won't sell, or had little marks or holes. (As a regular visitor I am quite familiar with their stock and know what has been hanging about for a while).
 

For the princely sum of £5 I brought home a fantastic colour explosion.


Following the instructions in the tutorial I cut each t-shirt into 1 inch strips like a weird sea creature,


Then cut the remaining portion on the diagonal to form one continuous strip.


See, we have fancy diagrams here at stitches and seeds! I then stretched out the strips from each end and wound them into balls of loveliness.


Interestingly, I hadn't noticed that some of the t-shirts were plain stocking stitch which curls to form a cord, and some were very narrow rib which stays ribbon-like.


I almost just wanted to keep them like that. Balls of tarn in a bowl - they are soooo beautiful!


But I didn't, I started to make... but you will have to wait until next time to see what I did with them.

xx



5 comments:

  1. Oooooooh they look scrum my! Can't wait to see what you do with them! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! You found some lovely colours, I can't wait to see what you make with them, it is really fun working with a big hook, isn't it! have a great day, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I cant wait to see what you are making, I have in my list of "things I want to do sometime" a weaving project with t shirt yarn. Love those colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can`t imagine what you are going to do with these strips, reading other comments sounds like it might be some crochet

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely bowl of colour... can't wait to see what you will create ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete